Monday, June 19, 2006

What I Want to be When I grow up

Lately, I've been giving a lot of thought to my career path in life. I actually have a degree in marketing. I do not use it in my current job. However, the pay at my current job, plus benefits is more than any marketing job that was available after I took some time off after the birth of my daughter. I enjoy my job. I work for a very small non profit organization and there are, count them, 4 of us in this office. I have a great working environment and a boss that is actually not a bad person to work for (I would not have said this during my first 6 months here, but now that I've been here just a little over 3 years, we have gelled and developed a fabulous working relationship.)

Anyway, I've signed up for my 3rd photography class at a local university as part of their continuing education program. I've loved every one of them. I've also been very quiet about doing this, as I signed up as a way to get more out of the digital camera I got for Christmas and have somewhere along the lines fell in love with photography. I've kept most of my work under wraps for fear of someone not liking it. I shared some with some friends this weekend for the first time. I also shared my desire to become a photographer. They both loved my work and encouraged my dream. What great friends I have. The hubs has listened to me talk about this for months and was proud that I finally shared this with someone other than him. He wants me to be happy, but he also wants me to bring home some bacon. Therefore, I'm scared to try to do this. I'm scared to attempt to make a living doing something I love for fear of failure.

My question to you, dear internet, is......what kind of equipment should I purchase? I've talked to my instructor who has given me some ideas and now I want more opinions. Most of my work so far has been pictures of my daughter. I also got some great shots at a recent wedding where the ladybug was a flowergirl. Ya'll, I think I've been so quiet about this because I think (no, I believe) that I have found my calling. I also am petrified to take a step and do this. I just don't know where to start. I don't know what camera or cameras to buy, what equipment I need or even how to market myself (funny from a marketing major huh?). I can market anything else, I just don't know how to sell myself. This is because myself is afraid of failure. I am afraid to put myself out there. I want to shoot children, families and weddings and I want to be GOOD. I want people to want me to be there photographer. But I'm scared to death.

Anyway, now that I think I've found my destiny in life, how do I move past the fear of failing and into making my dream a reality? I've never really been so sure of anything in my life. I don't know when or how I developed this love affair, though I think most of it comes from the digital camera for Christmas. I've just fallen in love with taking pictures. I always loved it before, but now that I can see instant results I am taking pictures of anything and everything. I also found that I have a talent for it. Who doesn't want to earn a living doing something that they truly love? Anyway, now that I know, I've got to find a way to step outside my comfort zone and do this.

~~~~~~~
Side note: Biscuits baseball pictures posted soon.............hope all you dads had a wonderful Father's Day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Good for you! I can't really tell you about equipment - I am pretty much a novice. There is a blog I read (www.randomandodd.com - not sure if you read it or not) but Kristine is a GREAT photographer and is starting her own business - I am sure she can give you some advice on the matter - she is nice like that :)

As far as getting started, this is a GREAT way to do it. There is annonymity (sp?) so you can just put it out there and see what people think in general. Once you start showing your stuff off (and start with friends and family) you can do little "events" on the weekend to start building up your client base. So you see you don't have to make a big jump into the deep end of the pool - start with baby steps (as Dr. Marvin would say...hehe)

6/19/2006 2:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I offer no help here as I am completel ignorant in the way of photography equipment. I think it's great you are pursuing your dream though!!

Thanks also for your kind words last week!

6/19/2006 2:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

check out 2peas, they have a photo board and you can ask question there, that is SOOOOO awesome that you found your niche!!! I want to see your work! You can email it to me if you want to share! No pressure!

6/19/2006 2:43 PM  
Blogger Greta Adams said...

i think you would be a great photographer....girl you can't be afraid just get out there and do and KNOW you are good!!!

6/20/2006 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home